Cincinnati's oldest, operating
establishments. It opened in1843
under the name of "The Second German
Protestant Cemetery" and comprised
of about 5 acres. The first meeting was
held on Feb. 6, 1843, the first lots were
recorded as sold on May 4, 1843 and the
first burials were made on June 30, 1843. The original incorporators
were Louis Wehmer, Charles Wolf, August Frieman, C.F. Bultmann and
On Sept. 25, 1941, the name was officially changed to Walnut Hills Cemetery.
This was done to eliminate some of the confusion with "The First German
Protestant Cemetery" located in the 3600 block of Reading Road. That
cemetery, which opened in 1802, had been closed for burials since 1864
after many victims of the cholera epidemics in Cincinnati in 1849 and 1864
had been buried there. It was thought at the time that even touching the
bones could spread the cholera germ again and start another epidemic.
rolling acres of Walnut Hills in Cincinnati, OH
with over 50,000 burials. In support of the
community and in conjunction with
WEBN, each October there is a "Run Like Hell"
5K marathon to benefit the Cystic Fibrosis
Foundation supported by the cemetery.
Approximately 3,000 runners dash through
this historic graveyard as part of the course.
|Visitors as of
|Walnut Hills Cemetery